My Grandpa was one of the greatest men that I will ever know. Even as a child I knew that he was something special. He had eight grandchildren that he spoiled rotten. He had a way of making us each feel like we were his favorite (I still like to think that I really was his favorite). I have so many wonderful memories of him, but some of my favorites are
-all 8 of us riding in the back of his truck to Weelo’s for ice cream
-riding in the back of his truck to go anywhere
-drinking coffee (or coffee milk) with him at the Pig Stand
-his sock drawer in the bathroom…half socks and half bubble gum
-riding the 4-wheeler to the lake
-checking lines with him at the lake
-eating vegetables out of his garden
-picking figs and muscadines
-picking chicken eggs
-playing “Devil in the Dark” in the hallway after dinner while the women went to Mama’s and Grandpa napped in his recliner (he was supposed to be watching us)
-hearing the recliner footrest go down and knowing that we were in big trouble if he had to get out of his chair
-the balance beam he made us (just because we wanted one)
-hearing my name over the intercom at school on a Friday afternoon, knowing he and Grandma were there to pick us up
-meeting him in Opelousas at McDonald’s so we could spend the week at their house
-Watching he and Grandma dance together at Christmas, as the record player hummed
My Grandpa very peacefully passed away in his sleep on Friday. I am so grateful that he is now in a better place and no longer sick, but my heart is broken. I miss him so much. I regret that Jeff and the kids never really got to know him (the real him before he got sick), but I realize now that he will live on forever in our memories and the legacy that he created. He instilled in us the immeasurable values of God and family. As I watch my own parents with Owen and Abigail, I see that same great love and they are creating their own wonderful memories together. The kids want for nothing. Owen cries every time he has to leave the camp, just as we did at my Grandparent’s house on Sunday afternoons. Owen’s dream right now would be to live at the camp, and how many times did we try to convince my parents to build a house in the empty lot next to Grandpa and Grandma’s house. We are beyond lucky to have been raised in such a wonderful family. Thank you, Grandpa, for loving us so much.
Love you more,
Meg



No comments:
Post a Comment